I finished altering Cerys's dress for her first day of school on September 13th. If you recall I purchased her dress on this day from a local thrift store. I took a vintage embroidered doily and cut it in half which I sewed onto the dress near the gathered waist using some beautiful ribbon from Stephanie who spoiled me rotten with her fantastic button swap.
This is my first time using vintage linens to change a thrifted item. I was so proud of myself after I sewed on the first half of the doily. I stood back from the dress, pride brimming at the surface when I realized in shock that I had sewn the doily on backwards. I promptly left the room. I tend to do that with mistakes whether it be a blog post that I accidentally lose because of clicking on "back" instead of "re-edit post" or ones with crafting. I just leave the scene of the crime before I do something drastic with scissors or a baseball bat. I went back the next day and calmly worked my seam ripper on the stitches and began sewing once again.
I tend to buy practically every piece of vintage linen that I come across unless the price is ridiculously expensive. I buy them in any condition whether they are stained or have holes. This one had a small hole which I mended (hoping to one day learn how to darn) They call these cutter pieces. It usually describes a piece of fabric or linen that has potential for something else but is damaged by holes or stains. This is a lovely example of a great cutter lot for sale on eBay, as is this one.
I embroidered the collar with 2 flowers. It was my first time trying a french knot. The woman giving the directions in my embroidery book said that this was her favorite stitch. Whether her instructions were daft or whether I was daft, it took me at least 10 minutes to figure this innocent little knot out. And when I did figure it out I couldn't begin to describe to you what I changed to make it work. One minute the french knots were just seed stitches and the next they were proper french knots. But I have to agree with her, I love making them.
The embroidery was influenced by my first Japanese book purchase which I found through here. I am lucky enough to live across the water from Kinokuniya which had a million craft books to choose from. I was in heaven. The entire book is filled with embroidery examples.
If someone points me in the right direction of how to read the ISBN # I will include it in the comments. My favorite page is the one full of sweets. Some of the figures in other parts looked hurried but overall I am very happy with the book. Here is a page of flowers that I used for the collar. It is the yellow and green one.