It's always interesting to wander down a new craft path for the first time. So many lessons learned, so many mistakes made and yet at the end of the journey you still have something pretty to show for your hard work even with a few creative flaws. A couple weeks ago I picked up my first Marie Claire Idees magazine and it was the delicious fall issue. I can't understand a word of French but that didn't stop me from being inspired by the amazing crafty photographs. This one did the trick to inspire me for my latest project.
I saw it and I had to have it even with the difficult French word I still can't pronounce. And that is even after a few lessons from dh on how to say it. I couldn't understand a single word of the article so I made up the banner as I went along.
Here were my supplies:
-2 sheets of thick drawing paper for each letter (taken from the children's art supply)
-various fabrics (most is thrifted except for the Halloween fabric)
-3 yards of ribbon (I purchased new)
I started by taking 2 sheets of the paper on top of each other and drawing a simple J. In the beginning I worked a bit slow by doing each letter from start to finish. When I got to Halloween, I did it like an assembly line and it went much faster. Here is an example of the E.
When I chose my fabrics I went through my fabric collection I found at the Sebastopol Flea Market and found colors that spoke Fall to me. I then placed my letters on the fabric and roughly cut around them.
I consider myself kind of a lazy crafter. I take shortcuts if I see them. I started by using the iron but grew bored of that quite quickly and realized I could actually work without it. After the letters had their fabric partner they next headed toward the sewing machine to be stitched. I would start on an easy side which in the E's case would be the long straight side. I stitched very close to the edge.
With outside corners, I would simply fold the fabric over and sew. With inside corners I would clip into the corner evenly. There may be a better method than this but it worked for me. I discovered that letters like E's and H's are quite fun. O's on the other hand were a nightmare. In fact I did a cute little swirly thing on the O that took me at least 10 minutes. By the time I finished the swirly X tail I was done with swirlys. The O in Halloween is swirly free and proud.
Here is the completed E. After I had all of my letters finished I sewed them onto the ribbon. The magazine sewed them over the ribbon but I had to be different and sew them under the ribbon. Partly because I used one of my cute Bernina stitches that look a bit like fall leaves and I wanted it visible on the orange ribbon.
I loved making this banner. I always thought my first banner would be a typical triangle shaped one but this one called my name and my Bernina and I answered. I still haven't named my sewing machine but hopefully one will come to me soon. My next project, which I should start soon, will be two trick or treat bags that are on the opposite Marie Claire Idees page to the banner. I only have 13 days and counting to make them....