Summer arrived with a bang yesterday and my neat and organized typical Tuesday became a mess of figuring out how to proceed with summer. I had 10 orders to ship, a blog post to write fail, a summer schedule to prepare and a summer outdoor space to create. Not to mention unpack from our trip and tidy up the not so tidy house we left behind.
Let's go back to 2006 where I had a similar problem. This year though the new challenge that I have is the need to make a lot of money. Thankfully our renter is still in our house on Bainbridge although for much less than our mortgage. It's up to me to make up the difference.
Usually in the summer I can take it a little easier with bookselling and I tend to not sell on eBay at all. This summer it's different. I'm going to have to work a lot more hours. Therefore a schedule is needed this year more than any year previous. This post is going to be in two parts. This part is the planning stage for our Summer Schedule. I began to brainstorm things that I want to do this summer on our drive home on Monday from Sacramento.
Fun things to do with the children:
- Join the Summer Library Program
- Craft Time
- Berry Picking (to freeze or make jam)
- Bicycle Trips - Howarth Park, Santa Rosa to Sebastpol
- Reading Time
- Freezer Paper Stencil T-Shirts
- Carve and prepare Walking Sticks
- Dying Wool
- Listening to Audio Books
- Beach Days
- Farmer's Market (every Wednesday afternoon)
- Pen Pal Letters
- Make a Hiking Kit
- Summer Journal
- Swimming (pool, Russian River, Beach, State Park)
- Thrift Store Shopping (hopefully a weekly visit to the Goodwill Outlet)
- Laundry (I avoid it at all cost but plan to tackle it this month)
- Pack winter clothes away
- Grocery Shopping
- Clean Out Garage
- Create Summer Space on Covered Patio
- Children's chores: room tidy up, weed garden, tidy up toys outside
- Tidy up Office every week
- Organize Craft Area in Office
- Weekly eBay auctions (goal of $300 in sales every week)
- List Books on Amazon (goal of $300 in sales every week)
- Write 5 blog posts a week for ATG
- Write 3 blog posts a week for food blog
Without a clear schedule, I think the summer would fly by in a mess. Dave and I are going to sit down this evening with our calendars and plan our vacation days, his travel dates for work, our goals for the summer and this list above. Together we will create a Summer Schedule that will create a rhythm in our lives. We all need rhythm, even in the summertime when we are looking to relax and enjoy the warm sun and long days.
What are you planning?