A reader contacted me over the weekend to tell me how frustrated she was about only shopping in Thrift Stores. She has trouble finding rummage sales and estate sales and asked if I would do a post about how to find sales. I love thrifting in any form and that includes thrift stores but I do love a balance of garage sales, estate sales, rummage sales and thrift stores. Here are some tips on how to find the sales.
My top two favorite ways to find a sale include the local Newspaper and our local Craigslist.
I subscribe to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat just for the Garage Sale Ads. I subscribed to their Thursday through Sunday edition which are the exact days that I need the ads. I didn't subscribe for months but found the online edition for the ads very cumbersome. I much prefer to old school style of walking out of my front door, grabbing the paper and sitting at the dining table with highlighter in hand.
The night before any thrifting day I will also sit at the computer and look through the Craigslist ads at the computer.
I first click on my area which in the San Francisco Craigslist would be North Bay. I then click on Garage Sale which is under For Sale. I next type in Estate in the Search For box at the top. Other searches include:
If any sales look interesting I copy and paste them into an email or blank Word document. When I have all the sales that look hopeful, I print them off. Many people will only place their ads in the newspaper. Yet many people will only place a post at Craigslist. I want to make sure not to miss any sales which is why I look at both. At that point with my Craigslist favorites and newspaper ads marked I will plan my route for the day.
Here are other ways to find out about Sales:
- Bulletin Boards
- Church Newsletters
- School Newsletters
- Estate Sale Mailing List (sign up either at the sale or on their website)
- Facebook (some people are creating FB Events for their Garage Sale)
- Call local Churches and ask if they have a yearly rummage sale. They may even have the date already in the calendar.
- Website: Yard Sale Search I was really impressed at how many people are using this site. My area is full of sales for next weekend. That's a great sign that this site really works. I've seen other types of sites but only have a single sale from three months ago. I'm going to add this to my weekly routine of searching for sales.
- Watch for signs on street corners.